What is ISO 20121 Sustainable Events?
ISO 20121 Sustainable Events is the ISO standard for the management of events. It can be applied to events of all sizes from school fetes and local barbeques through to organised sporting events (local sports, fun runs and marathons etc) right through to rock concerts and Olympic events (it was first used at the Olympic level for the London 2012 Olympic Games).
ISO 20121 addresses the three dimensions of event sustainability which are:
- Economic – the ability for an event to remain economically viable
- Environmental – the use of water, energy and creation of waste as well as environmental aspects, impacts and controls
- Social – addressing the impact and tensions related to neighbouring communities as well as the health and safety of event stakeholders
What are the benefits of ISO 20121?
ISO 20121 ISO 20121 offers benefits to all event stakeholders including:
- Event organizers
- Event owners
- Supply chain (such as caterers, stand constructors, transport companies)
- Regulatory bodies
What is in an ISO 20121 Sustainable Events Management System?
An SEMS should provide Policies and Procedures to address the following areas:
- Interested parties
- Governing principles of sustainable developments
- Document and records
- Communications and responsibilities
- Objectives, plans and issues
- Resources, competencies and awareness
- Operational control and supply chain management
- System performance monitoring and evaluation
- Risk Management
- Non-conformities and corrective actions