If you have in-house resources with the relevant experience and competence to build a best practice management system to meet the requirements of ISO 9001:2015 then there is every chance you may not need to engage an ISO Consultant to help build your management system. You could simply engage a Certification Body to undertake a Stage 1 documentation audit and then review and action the findings prior to moving on to Stage 2.
If, on the other hand, you want a fully documented, best practice management system, that has been developed in alignment with your existing business processes (making the standard work for the business instead of the business working to the standard) AND a guarantee that you will be certified first time, every time, then you should engage the services of an experienced, qualified ISO Consultant.
Remember: ISO 9001 provides a framework for continual improvement, and a badly designed Quality Management Systems that introduces excessive administrative overheads (for example extra process, hundreds of new forms etc) is definitely not an improvement.
What to check for when choosing an ISO Consultant
- ISO Certification – do they actually hold ISO 9001 certification themselves (ensure they are certified by a JAS-ANZ Accredited Certification Body)?
- ISO Consultant qualifications – have they completed any formal training and are they qualified to be offering consultancy services?
- Industry experience – how long have they been consulting for? What industries have then consulted to previously?
- Experience designing management systems to businesses of your size (small, medium, large and enterprise Quality Management Systems can look very different),
- Knowledge of lean methods to ensure your management system improves business performance and does not stifle it,
- Insurances – do they hold Public liability and Professional indemnity insurance?
- Client Referrals – do they have an extensive list of satisfied, repeat and long-term clients that are happy to provide glowing testimonials?
- Certification Body Referrals – can a number of JAS-ANZ accredited certification bodies attest to the quality of the management systems and consultancy services offered? and
- How long have they been in business (beware of fly-by-nighters).
What to watch out for when choosing an ISO Consultant
ISO Consultants that have worked in a “Quality” or “Safety” role within a large organisation. This does not necessarily mean they are able to design a good small to medium business Management System. In fact, sometimes this results in a rebadged, overweight quality management system that the small business will struggle to support.
In the event an ISO consultant insists you choose a specific certification body then alarm bells should start ringing. This may mean that the consultant and the Certification Body have some sort of financial relationship or dependency which result in a number of conflict of interest issues including:
- the system might be deficient and the ISO 9001 audit could be completed softly due to the relationship between consultant and auditor (a problem that may not present now but may cause problems if/when you change Certification Bodies), or
- you may be paying too much for the Certification Body audit.
Always make sure:
- you choose a JAS-ANZ accredited Certification Body (we recommend obtaining a few proposals – SEE HERE for more information),
- you aren’t locked into a specific Certification Body just because you engage an ISO consultant.
How QAS International can help
QAS International ISO Consultants can design, develop and implement a certification ready Quality Management System from the ground up to meet ISO 9001 requirements. If you already have an existing management system in place we will help you integrate ISO 9001:2015 into your current management system (eg ISO 45001 Safety or ISO 14001 Environmental) to form an Integrated Management System (IMS).
Our trained and experienced ISO Consultants have a 100% track record achieving certification for our clients and we guarantee your ISO 9001:2015 Quality Management System will get certified by a JAS-ANZ accredited Certification Body.
We can also help develop, implement and internally audit ISO Management Systems such as:
- ISO 50001 Energy Management Systems
- ISO 55001 Asset Management Systems
- ISO 17025 Testing & Calibration for Laboratories
- ISO 27001 Information Security
- ISO 22000 HACCP Food Safety
- NDIS Practice Standard
Contact Us Today
If you’d like more information, or to request a Quick Quote please use the form to the right and one of our ISO 9001 Consultants will contact you within one business day. Alternatively, you are welcome to contact us directly on 1800 676 910 or by emailing [email protected]
We look forward to hearing from you and answering any questions you may have. CLICK HERE for a copy of our Capability Statement.
For information on What is required for ISO 9001 Certification CLICK HERE
To see what ISO Certification Costs CLICK HERE
Did you know our ISO Consultants can also help with Smartsheet solutions for ISO Certification? For more information CLICK HERE